Paul is pleased by Timothy’s encouraging report of the Thessalonians.
1. What had Paul told them beforehand?
v 4 ... we told you beforehand that we are to suffer affliction, even as it happened, and you know.
2. What is Paul's prayer for them?
v 10 ... that we may see your face, and may perfect that which is lacking in your faith?
3. What is Paul's long-term desire for them at the coming of Jesus?
v 13 to the end he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
- v 1 to 5 Paul had sent Timothy from Athens to ensure their faith was not discouraged by their problems
- v 6 and 7 Timothy returned with good news about how faithfully the believers were coping
- v 8 to 10 Paul thanks God for their standing fast in the Lord and wants to see them again to help them further in their faith
v 11 to 13 Paul prays to God for three things:
- that he be allowed to visit the Thessalonians again
- that their love for one another will increase
- that they may be found blameless at the coming of the Lord Jesus