Encouragement to grow in godliness and have confidence in God’s word.
1. What do God's precious and exceedingly great promises give us?
v 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and exceedingly great promises; that through these you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world by lust.
2. What are the stages Peter gives showing how faith develops into love?
v 5 to 7 ... faith ... moral excellence ... knowledge ... self-control ... perseverance ... godliness ... brotherly affection ... love.
3. What will believers receive if they make their calling and election sure?
v 10 and 11 Therefore, brothers, be more diligent to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never stumble. For thus you will be richly supplied with the entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.
- v 1 to 4 Peter encourages the believers to appreciate what God has given them, including the promises
- v 5 to 11 He encourages them to be diligent in developing a godly way of life, so they can enter the Kingdom
- v 12 to 18 Peter wants to keep them reminded of the things they have been told. He can testify to the truth of the things he has seen and heard
- v 19 to 21 All Scripture has been given by God