David’s reaction to Saul’s death.
He said to him, “I have escaped out of the camp of Israel.”
He answered, “The people have fled from the battle, and many of the people also have fallen and are dead. Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also.”
He answered, “I am the son of a foreigner, an Amalekite.”
How the mighty have fallen!
Don’t publish it in the streets of Ashkelon,
lest the daughters of the Philistines rejoice,
lest the daughters of the uncircumcised triumph.
let there be no dew or rain on you, and no fields of offerings;
For there the shield of the mighty was defiled and cast away,
The shield of Saul was not anointed with oil.
from the fat of the mighty,
Jonathan’s bow didn’t turn back.
Saul’s sword didn’t return empty.
In their death, they were not divided.
They were swifter than eagles.
They were stronger than lions.
who clothed you delicately in scarlet,
who put ornaments of gold on your clothing.
Jonathan was slain on your high places.
You have been very pleasant to me.
Your love to me was wonderful,
passing the love of women.
and the weapons of war have perished!”
1. What bad news did the young man from Saul's camp give to David?
v 4 ... He answered, “The people have fled from the battle, and many of the people also have fallen and are dead. Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also.”
2. What did the young man tell David he had done?
v 10 So I stood beside him and killed him because I was sure that he could not live after he had fallen. ...
3. Why did David kill the young man who brought him the crown?
v 16 David said to him, “Your blood be on your head; for your mouth has testified against you, saying, ‘I have slain the LORD’s anointed.’ ”
- v 1 to 5 A messenger tells David that Saul and his son Jonathan have both been killed by the Philistines in a battle at Mount Gilboa
- v 6 to 16 The messenger tells lies about Saul’s death hoping to be rewarded for killing David’s enemy. Instead he arouses David’s anger by saying that he has killed the LORD’s anointed
- v 17 to 27 David’s lament for Saul and for Jonathan his close friend