Paul’s encouragement to Timothy.
Yet I am not ashamed, for I know him whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that he is able to guard that which I have committed to him against that day.
1. What was Paul reminded of when he thought about Timothy?
v 5 having been reminded of the sincere faith that is in you, which lived first in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and, I am persuaded, in you also.
2. What did Jesus Christ achieve when he appeared?
v 10 ... the appearing of our Saviour, Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the Good News.
3. What did Paul tell Timothy to hold?
v 13 Hold the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
- v 1 and 2 A loving greeting
- v 3 to 5 Timothy, like Paul, has benefited from being brought up to believe in God
- v 6 to 12 Timothy is encouraged not to be afraid but to follow Paul's example and be prepared to suffer if neccessary. God's plan to save us has been revealed to us through Christ Jesus. Timothy is encouraged to keep to the faith which Paul preached to him
- v 15 to 18 Some believers have turned against Paul but he has been encouraged by the disciple who made a big effort to find Paul in prison and comfort him