More encouragement and warnings and personal instructions.
1. What did Paul say that Jesus will do when he appears?
v 1 ... the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at his appearing and his Kingdom:
2. What did Paul say was stored up for him because he had kept the faith?
v 7 and 8 ... I have kept the faith. From now on, the crown of righteousness is stored up for me, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day; and not to me only, but also to all those who have loved his appearing.
3. What did Paul want Timothy to do diligently?
v 9 Be diligent to come to me soon ...
and v 21 Be diligent to come before winter ...
- v 1 and 2 Paul encourages Timothy to preach the word, as there will be a judgement at the second coming of Jesus
- v 3 to 5 Paul warns that, before this, people will ignore true doctrine, preferring to settle for what sounds good to them
- v 6 to 8 As Paul faces death, he is confident that he will be given the crown of righteousness
- v 9 to 15 Several friends have left Paul. He asks Timothy to come and bring Mark with him together with warm clothing and his books
- v 16 to 22 Paul had little human support at his trial, but felt the Lord's presence and looks forward in faith to the Kingdom