More guidance for living.
1. What advice does Paul give to children and fathers?
v 1 and 2 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honour your father and mother, ...
v 4 You fathers, don’t provoke your children to wrath, but nurture them in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.
2. What advice does Paul give to servants?
v 5 Servants, be obedient to those who according to the flesh are your masters, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as to Christ,
3. Paul likens the armour of a soldier to aspects of the Christian life. What does he say the sword represents?
v 17 ... and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
- v 1 to 4 Advice for parents and children
- v 5 to 9 Advice for servants and masters
- v 10 to 20 Paul uses the example of a soldier to illustrate how we should resist various influences that would take us away from God and his message:
- a belt of truth
- a breastplate of righteousness
- feet fitted with the Good News
- the shield of faith
- a helmet of salvation
- the sword of the spirit - God's word
v 21 to 24 Paul is sending Tychicus to the Ephesians to give them his news