Jacob is buried. Joseph and his brothers stay in Egypt and eventually Joseph dies.
1. What did Joseph's brothers think might happen now that their father was dead and what did they do about it?
v 15 to 17 When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “It may be that Joseph will hate us, and will fully pay us back for all the evil which we did to him.” They sent a message to Joseph, saying, “Your father commanded before he died, saying, ‘You shall tell Joseph, “Now please forgive the disobedience of your brothers, and their sin, because they did evil to you.” ’ Now, please forgive the disobedience of the servants of the God of your father". ...
2. What was Joseph's attitude about being sold and taken to Egypt and what was his attitude to his brothers?
v 19 to 21 Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to save many people alive, as is happening today. Now therefore don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your little ones.” He comforted them, and spoke kindly to them.
3. What did Joseph say, when he was dying, that God would do for them?
v 24 Joseph said to his brothers, “I am dying, but God will surely visit you, and bring you up out of this land to the land which he swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.”
- v 1 to 3 Joseph has Jacob embalmed and the Egyptians mourn for him for 70 days
- v 4 to 6 Pharaoh allows Joseph to go to Canaan to bury Jacob
- v 7 to 13 Joseph goes up to to bury Jacob accompanied by a large company of Egyptians. After 7 days of mourning at the threshing floor of Atad, Jacob's sons bury him in the cave of the field of Machpelah near Mamre
- v 14 to 21 After returning to Egypt, Joseph assures his brothers that he has forgiven them for their mistreatment of him in the past and that he will continue to care for them
- v 22 to 26 As he is dying, Joseph makes his relatives promise that they will take his coffin with them when they eventually go back to the promised land. Joseph is possibly thinking about God's promise to Abram in Genesis 15 v 13 to 16