Jesus is a compassionate and understanding high priest.
“You are my Son.
Today I have become your father.”
“You are a priest forever,
after the order of Melchizedek.”
1. What is the high priest appointed to do?
v 1 For every high priest, being taken from amongst men, is appointed for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins.
2. Why can the high priest deal gently with people?
v 2 The high priest can deal gently with those who are ignorant and going astray, because he himself is also surrounded with weakness.
3. What is the result of Jesus being made perfect?
v 9 Having been made perfect, he became to all of those who obey him the author of eternal salvation, ...
- v 1 to 4 High priests are selected by God
- v 5 and 6 Jesus' priesthood is following the pattern of an earlier priest (who was a contemporary of Abraham)
- v 7 to 10 Jesus learned obedience and was made perfect through his suffering. We too must also be obedient to his teaching to be saved
- v 11 to 14 The Hebrews are accused of having poor spiritual development