Two sons of Aaron decide to worship God in their own way.
‘I will show myself holy to those who come near me,
and before all the people I will be glorified.’ ”
Aaron held his peace.
1. What did Nadab and Abihu do that was wrong?
v 1 Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer, and put fire in it, and laid incense on it, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he had not commanded them.
2. What were the priests told not to do before entering the Tent of Meeting?
v 9 You and your sons are not to drink wine or strong drink whenever you go into the Tent of Meeting ...
3. What two specific types of meat were the priests and their families given to eat in a holy place?
v 14 The waved breast and the heaved thigh you shall eat in a clean place, you, and your sons, and your daughters with you: for they are given as your portion, and your sons’ portion, out of the sacrifices of the peace offerings of the children of Israel.
- v 1 to 3 Nadab and Abihu are killed making an offering different from what God asked
- v 4 to 7 Their corpses are removed from the sanctuary. Aaron and his sons are told not to let their hair go loose or tear their clothes and to stay in the Tent of Meeting
- v 8 to 11 God forbids them to have wine or strong drink before they enter the Tent of Meeting. They must distinguish between holy and common things
- v 12 to 15 Moses gives Aaron and his surviving sons regulations about eating of the sacrifices:
- what remains of the meal offering is to be eaten by Aaron and his sons beside the altar (v 12 and 13)
- the waved breast and heaved thigh are to be eaten by them and their families in a clean place (v 14 and 15)
v 16 to 20 Moses is angry that Aaron and his sons haven't eaten their portion of the goat of the sin offering. Moses accepts Aaron's explanation that it would have been wrong after all that had just happened