Jesus gives encouraging evidence to John the Baptiser and his followers. He gives a warning to those who ignore the evidence.
1. What did John tell two of his disciples to ask Jesus?
v 2 and 3 ... he sent two of his disciples and said to him, “Are you he who comes, or should we look for another?”
2. Why did Jesus denounce Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum?
v 20 Then he began to denounce the cities in which most of his mighty works had been done, because they didn’t repent.
3. What did Jesus thank his Father for?
v 25 At that time, Jesus answered, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you hid these things from the wise and understanding, and revealed them to infants.
- v 1 to 6 John sends his disciples to to ask if Jesus is the special person promised by the prophets. Jesus reminds them of his preaching and healing
- v 7 to 15 Jesus confirms that John the Baptiser is his forerunner as foretold by the prophets in the Old Testament
- v 16 to 19 Jesus tells his listeners that they won't accept him whatever he does
- v 20 to 24 Three cities are condemned because of their unbelief despite the evidence of Christ’s miracles
- v 25 to 30 Jesus thanks his Father that his message is hid from the clever and revealed to those of a child-like mind. He encourages those who are struggling to come and follow his example of gentleness and humility