After spending forty years in the wilderness, the Israelites are again approaching the promised land.
“Your brother Israel says: You know all the travail that has happened to us;
1. What is the people's reaction to Moses when they have no water?
v 3 to 5 The people quarrelled with Moses, and spoke, saying, “We wish that we had died when our brothers died before the LORD! Why have you brought the LORD’s assembly into this wilderness, that we should die there, we and our animals? Why have you made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in to this evil place? It is no place of seed, or of figs, or of vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink.”
2. What does God tell Moses to do and what does he actually do?
v 8 “Take the rod, and assemble the congregation, you, and Aaron your brother, and speak to the rock before their eyes, that it pour out its water. ...
v 11 Moses lifted up his hand, and struck the rock with his rod twice, and water came out abundantly. ...
3. What does Moses ask the king of Edom and what is the king's response?
v 17 and 18 “Please let us pass through your land. We will not pass through field or through vineyard, neither will we drink from the water of the wells. We will go along the king’s highway. We will not turn away to the right hand nor to the left, until we have passed your border.”
Edom said to him, “You shall not pass through me, lest I come out with the sword against you.”
- v 1 to 5 At Kadesh in the wilderness of Zin, the Israelites complain to Moses and Aaron about lack of water
- v 6 to 13 Moses and Aaron are told to speak to a rock which will then produce water. Moses in anger disobeys and hits the rock, which produces water, but this means he will not enter the promised land
- v 14 to 21 Moses asks the king of Edom to let the Israelites pass through his land on the king's highway. Edom refuses his request and threatens them with war if they try
v 22 to 29 They then travel to Mount Hor. Moses is told that Aaron is to die on Mount Hor. Before he dies, his son Eleazar is to have Aaron's garments and replace him as priest