Follow the example of the Lord Jesus Christ.
1. How can the Philippians make Paul full of joy?
v 2 to 4 make my joy full by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind; doing nothing through rivalry or through conceit, but in humility, each counting others better than himself; each of you not just looking to his own things, but each of you also to the things of others.
2. What has God done for Jesus because he humbled himself?
v 9 to 11 Therefore God also highly exalted him, and gave to him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, those on earth, and those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
3. What should the Philippians do to be lights to the world?
v 14 and 15 Do all things without complaining and arguing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without defect in the middle of a crooked and perverse generation, amongst whom you are seen as lights in the world,
- v 1 to 4 Paul wants the Philippians to show love and consider other people
- v 5 to 11 He wants them (and us) to have the mind of Christ. Jesus showed in his life what God was like without wanting to be God. Because he showed how to be a humble servant God has highly exalted him
- v 12 to 18 He wants them all to work out their salvation and be good examples of Christ’s followers to those around them
v 19 to 30 Paul hopes to send a fellow worker, Timothy, to them to hear their news. He has recently sent another fellow worker Epaphroditus who has recovered from a serious illness