The Hebrew word "satan" means "an adversary or one who resists". There word does not indicate whether the opposition is morally good or bad.
The theme page Satan - Bible facts gives us the following information:
- Satans can be:
- An Angel of God
- God Himself
- Motives and intents opposed to God
- A satan influenced God and was given God's power
- A satan tempted Jesus Christ
- Successful preaching is said by Jesus Christ to be "satan falling from heaven
- Satan was in Judas Iscariot when he betrayed Jesus
- Satan would be crushed under the feet of the Roman believers
- A satan stopped Paul from coming to the Thessalonian believers
Satan refers to powers, people, motives or influences that oppose.