How to test false ideas and the importance of showing love.
1. How were John’s readers to decide if an idea (spirit) was of God or not?
v 2 and 3 ... every spirit who confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit who doesn’t confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God ...
2. How has God shown that he loves us?
v 9 By this God’s love was revealed in us, that God has sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.
3. What does John says about love being made perfect amongst us?
v 17 to 19 In this love has been made perfect amongst us, that we may have boldness in the day of judgement, because as he is, even so we are in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear has punishment. He who fears is not made perfect in love. We love him, because he first loved us.
- v 1 to 6 Believers are encouraged to test ideas or spirits, to know whether or not they are from God
- v 7 to 12 We should love one another because God’s love enables us to have our sins forgiven through his Son
- v 13 to 21 If we remain in God's love we need not fear the judgement. But we must show our love to one another