Jesus warns of problems and events to come.
1. What does Jesus say will be the sign that the desolation of Jerusalem is near?
v 20 ... when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is at hand.
2. What will be seen next when men are fainting for fear, and for expectation of the things which are coming on the world?
v 27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
3. What should we be doing so that we can stand before the Son of Man (Jesus)?
v 36 Therefore be watchful all the time, praying that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will happen, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
- v 1 to 4 Jesus commends a poor widow for her generosity
- v 5 and 6 Jesus prophesies the destruction of the great temple in Jerusalem
- v 7 to 24 Jesus replies to the disciples' request for more information about the destruction of the temple. He then tells them that Jerusalem will be out of Jewish hands until the end of Gentile times
- v 25 to 28 When people are fearful because of what is happening in the world, Jesus will return and those waiting for him will know that their salvation is near
- v 29 to 36 Disciples need to preparetheir lives for the day when Jesus will return
- v 37 and 38 The people come early to the temple to hear Jesus who is preaching every day